How to install an older version of a Homebrew package
Installing an older version of some package using Homebrew can be more complex than you expect
I had this problem: I updated Hugo, which is the CMS I use, and one of the versions that were more recent than the one I used introduced a breaking change.
My homepage didn’t list the blog posts any more. I didn’t have the time to figure out why, so I said “I’ll just roll back”.
Now the question became.. “how?”
First, I uninstalled Hugo:
brew unlink hugo
Then I followed the instructions I found on this post. I had to search for the Hugo package formula https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=hugo&type= then I clicked that file (
Formula/hugo.rb), and I pressed the History button to see all the previous versions.
Navigated to the 0.53 version I wanted and I clicked the
<> button to see the
homebrew-core repository at that point in time. Then I opened the
Formula/hugo.rb file, and I clicked
Raw to get the direct URL to that file.
I then used it as the argument for
brew install. For example:
brew install https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/5441fa16872c9a56bd5997558df45b808f13285b/Formula/hugo.rb
My next step for solving the problem I had was to uninstall the current version installed, and trying to update one version at a time, so I could isolate the release that introduced the change that was causing me problems.
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X