How to update your Ubuntu server packages
I have a few VPS based on Ubuntu and I have an alert on my calendar to login from time to time and update the packages and keep up with security fixes.
Here’s the sequence I use (it’s mostly a note to myself for the next time I forget)
Connect as root to the server, then you run:
to get the packages index updates.
to actually update the packages.
Then, if needed (depends on the kind of packages that needed an update), reboot the system:
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X