Signup to the waiting list!
Relational Databases are the software implementation of the concepts expressed by the theory introduced by the Relational Model.
In a Relational Database, data is stored in tables.
Each table contains one or more columns, that hold data of a specific type, like strings, numbers and so on.
The set of a table and all the rules about its columns is called a schema.
Each table can define constrains upon the data that each row can contain.
Tables can reference each other, forming relationships, using foreign keys.
A Database Management System is the software that implements the database in a computer system.
Commonly, relational databases use the SQL language to let us give instructions to create a database, define its tables schema, fill tables with data, and finally query the data when needed.
Some examples of software implementing relational databases are PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle and MicroSoft SQL Server.
More database tutorials:
- The MongoDB basics tutorial
- How MongoDB is different from a SQL database
- Information systems, data and information
- Data models
- Introduction to the ER Data Model
- The Relational Model
- Relational Algebra
- Relational Databases
- What is a Database? And a DBMS?
- Introduction to SQL
- How to install PostgreSQL on macOS
- Do you always need a database for your app?
- How to install SQLite on macOS
- Introduction to PostgreSQL
- PostgreSQL User Permissions
- How to list all users in PostgreSQL
- How to switch database using PostgreSQL
- How to list all databases using PostgreSQL
- How to list tables in the current database using PostgreSQL
- How to install MySQL on macOS
- Creating a user on MySQL
- PostgreSQL vs MySQL, a comparison
- SQLite User Permissions
- MySQL User Permissions
- SQL, creating a table
- SQL, adding data to a table
- SQL, how to use SELECT
- SQL, Handling empty cells
- SQL, Unique and Primary keys
- SQL, how to update data
- SQL, how to update a table structure
- SQL, how to delete data and tables
- SQL Joins
- SQL Views
- How to insert multiple items at once in a MongoDB collection
- How to remove all items from a MongoDB collection