Ideas are like fish, both stink after three days
There’s an old Italian saying:
L’ospite è come il pesce: dopo tre giorni puzza
that dates back to Tito Maccio Plauto, 250 a.C. – 184 a.C..
In english it can be translated to “fish and visitors stink after three days”, a quote that for some reason is attributed to Benjamin Franklin, who was born 20 centuries after the saying was already popular in the “old world”.
When I say ideas are like fish, I mean that once you have an idea it looks like the greatest thing ever.
I apply this to ideas for new apps to build.
It’s going to be super popular!
Everyone will use my app!
It’s also applicable to new features:
I’m sure my users will find this a great new feature!
Give it 3 days. Let it sink.
After 3 days, the idea will smell like fish. You will see all its failures and defects.
You’ll have a much better perspective on it.
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X