Next.js, fix the `module not found` error
While doing some sanitization on a variable in Next.js I ran into this weird problem:
Module not found: Error: Can't resolve 'net'
You might have some variation of it, which says a core Node.js module is missing.
npm install net or anything like that. If you already tried, run
npm uninstall on those modules.
The problem is this: Next.js is trying to run backend code in the frontend.
In my case it was the DOMPurify library. I was using it inside the component, but instead I had to use it in the
That method runs at build time in the Node environment, where that library expected to be ran into.
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X