Signup to the waiting list!
I got involved in a discussion about using subdomains vs subfolders.
Say I want to create a new section on my website, dedicated to selling honey.
I don’t produce nor sell honey, it’s just an example. Although one of my friends has bees and produces his own honey and it’s delicious 😋
The honey part of the website would be pretty big, with its own application to manage the e-commerce.
I could add this on my website in two ways. The first is by using a subfolder, like this:
The second is by using a subdomain, for example
There is a third option, which is using its own domain name, like
flaviohoney.com. But let’s focusing on keeping our original domain.
A subdomain makes things easier to manage: you have your own completely separate app or CMS or anything, you store it separately in its Git repository if that’s what you use for CI/CD, and you can also host it separately on its own hosting.
I think it’s the ideal solution when you are using an external service like Shopify or anything, as they let you use a subdomain.
A subfolder on the other hand is a bit more complicated because unless you come up with creative ways on the server side (which implies you need to manage your own server), the code must all be put under the original code that manages the main domain.
There is a huge advantage, however, that moves the bar toward the subfolder approach: SEO.
Google does not officially confirm it, but it considers subdomains as completely different sites from the main domain.
honey.flaviocopes.com would not inherit the SEO “juice” that
flaviocopes.com might have. Having many subdomains will dilute the domain authority over multiple subdomains rather than centralizing it in the main domain.
This reason alone could justify using
From the branding standpoint, I don’t personally think there are differences. It’s much better to have a separate domain, logo and design for a big project. But if it’s just an idea or something you want to test-drive for example, without investing time and effort into having a separate domain, then both subfolder or subdomain approaches will work fine.
More lab tutorials:
- The stack I use to run this blog
- 8 good reasons to become a software developer
- SEO for developers writing blogs
- Review of the book The 4-Hour Work Week
- Build a lifestyle business
- Build your own platform
- As an indie maker, what kind of product should you build?
- Create your own job security
- Developers, learn marketing
- The freedom of a product business
- Generating value
- Have a purpose for your business
- The idea is nothing
- The niche
- Remote working for software developers
- Product / market fit
- The best podcasts for frontend developers
- Why should I create an email list?
- Disconnect time from money
- The scarcity principle applied to software products
- The social proof principle
- How I added Dark Mode to my website
- My notes on the Deep Work book
- The pros of using a boring stack
- How to estimate programming time
- On going independent as a developer
- How to learn how to learn
- Why interview questions for programming jobs are so difficult?
- Do I need a degree to be a programmer?
- Everyone can learn programming
- How to be productive
- How to get the real number of pageviews of a static site
- Have you filled a developer bucket today?
- How I record my videos
- All the software projects I made in the past
- Tutorial purgatory from the perspective of a tutorial maker
- Every developer should have a blog. Here’s why, and how to stick with it
- Having a business mindset for developers
- How to write Unmaintainable Code
- What is Imposter Syndrome
- How to work from home without going crazy
- How I prototype a Web Page
- You should be the worst developer in your team
- How to start a blog using Hugo
- Write what you don't know
- How to block distractions using uBlock Origin
- Coding is an art
- I wrote 1 blog post every day for 2 years. Here's 5 things I learned about SEO
- Dealing with the fire
- On being a generalist
- The Developer’s Dilemma
- My plan for being hired as a Go developer. In 2017
- Productivity gains of using a Mac and an iOS device
- How to go from tutorials to your own project
- This is my little Digital Garden
- How to start freelancing as a developer
- Sharing the Journey Towards Building a Software Product Business
- Subfolder vs subdomain
- How I use text expanding to save time
- Software is a superpower
- I love books
- How I decided to create a new projects management app
- On using IndexedDB as the main database
- How to automatically cut silence in videos