Signup to the waiting list!
One concept you will likely meet when programming in React is immutability (and its opposite, mutability).
It’s a controversial topic, but whatever you might think about the concept of immutability, React and most of its ecosystem kind of forces this, so you need to at least have a grasp of why it’s so important and the implications of it.
In programming, a variable is immutable when its value cannot change after it’s created.
You are already using immutable variables without knowing it when you manipulate a string. Strings are immutable by default, when you change them in reality you create a new string and assign it to the same variable name.
An immutable variable can never be changed. To update its value, you create a new variable.
The same applies to objects and arrays.
Instead of changing an array, to add a new item you create a new array by concatenating the old array, plus the new item.
An object is never updated, but copied before changing it.
This applies to React in many places.
For example, you should never mutate the
state property of a component directly, but only through the
In Redux, you never mutate the state directly, but only through reducers, which are functions.
The question is, why?
There are various reasons, the most important of which are:
- Mutations can be centralized, like in the case of Redux, which improves your debugging capabilities and reduces sources of errors.
- Code looks cleaner and simpler to understand. You never expect a function to change some value without you knowing, which gives you predictability. When a function does not mutate objects but just returns a new object, it’s called a pure function.
Download my free React Handbook
More react tutorials:
- A React simple app example: fetch GitHub users information via API
- Build a simple counter with React
- VS Code setup for React development
- How to pass props to a child component via React Router
- Create an app with Electron and React
- Tutorial: create a Spreadsheet using React
- The roadmap to learn React
- Learn how to use Redux
- Getting started with JSX
- Styled Components
- Introduction to Redux Saga
- Introduction to React Router
- Introduction to React
- React Components
- The Virtual DOM
- React Events
- The React State
- React Props
- The React Fragment
- The React Context API
- React PropTypes
- React concepts: declarative
- React: How to show a different component on click
- How to loop inside React JSX
- Props vs State in React
- Should you use jQuery or React?
- Introduction to Gatsby
- How to reference a DOM element in React
- Unidirectional Data Flow in React
- React Higher Order Components
- React Lifecycle Events
- React Concept: Immutability
- React Concept: Purity
- Introduction to React Hooks
- Introduction to create-react-app
- React Concept: Composition
- React: Presentational vs Container Components
- Code Splitting in React
- Server Side Rendering with React
- How to install React
- CSS in React
- Using SASS in React
- Handling Forms in React
- React StrictMode
- React Portals
- React Render Props
- Testing React components
- How to pass a parameter to event handlers in React
- How to handle errors in React
- How to return multiple elements in JSX
- Conditional rendering in React
- React, how to transfer props to child components
- How to get the value of an input element in React
- How to use the useState React hook
- How to use the useCallback React hook
- How to use the useEffect React hook
- How to use the useMemo React hook
- How to use the useRef React hook
- How to use the useContext React hook
- How to use the useReducer React hook
- How to connect your React app to a backend on the same origin
- The Reach Router Tutorial
- How to use the React Developer Tools
- How to learn React
- How to debug a React application
- How to render HTML in React
- How to fix the `dangerouslySetInnerHTML` did not match error in React
- How I fixed an issue with a React login form state and Browser autofill
- How to configure HTTPS in a React app on localhost
- How to fix the "cannot update a component while rendering a different component" error in React
- Can I use React hooks inside a conditional?
- Using useState with an object: how to update
- How to move around blocks of code with React and Tailwind
- React, focus an item in React when added to the DOM
- React, edit text on doubleclick
- React Router, how to get data from a dynamic route
- React Router, why useLocation and useHistory might return undefined
- The easy-peasy React state management library