Signup to the waiting list!
What is React?
Developed at Facebook and released to the world in 2013, it drives some of the most widely used apps, powering Facebook and Instagram among countless other applications.
Its primary goal is to make it easy to reason about an interface and its state at any point in time, by dividing the UI into a collection of components.
Why is React so popular?
React has taken the frontend web development world by storm. Why?
Less complex than the other alternatives
At the time when React was announced, Ember.js and Angular 1.x were the predominant choices as a framework. Both these imposed so many conventions on the code that porting an existing app was not convenient at all. React made a choice to be very easy to integrate into an existing project, because that’s how they had to do it at Facebook in order to introduce it to the existing codebase. Also, those 2 frameworks brought too much to the table, while React only chose to implement the View layer instead of the full MVC stack.
At the time, Angular 2.x was announced by Google, along with the backwards incompatibility and major changes it was going to bring. Moving from Angular 1 to 2 was like moving to a different framework, so this, along with execution speed improvements that React promised, made it something developers were eager to try.
Backed by Facebook
Being backed by Facebook obviously is going to benefit a project if it turns out to be successful.
Facebook currently has a strong interest in React, sees the value of it being Open Source, and this is a huge plus for all the developers using it in their own projects.
Is React simple to learn?
Even though I said that React is simpler than alternative frameworks, diving into React is still complicated, but mostly because of the corollary technologies that can be integrated with React, like Redux and GraphQL.
React in itself has a very small API, and you basically need to understand 4 concepts to get started:
Download my free React Handbook
More react tutorials:
- A React simple app example: fetch GitHub users information via API
- Build a simple counter with React
- VS Code setup for React development
- How to pass props to a child component via React Router
- Create an app with Electron and React
- Tutorial: create a Spreadsheet using React
- The roadmap to learn React
- Learn how to use Redux
- Getting started with JSX
- Styled Components
- Introduction to Redux Saga
- Introduction to React Router
- Introduction to React
- React Components
- The Virtual DOM
- React Events
- The React State
- React Props
- The React Fragment
- The React Context API
- React PropTypes
- React concepts: declarative
- React: How to show a different component on click
- How to loop inside React JSX
- Props vs State in React
- Should you use jQuery or React?
- Introduction to Gatsby
- How to reference a DOM element in React
- Unidirectional Data Flow in React
- React Higher Order Components
- React Lifecycle Events
- React Concept: Immutability
- React Concept: Purity
- Introduction to React Hooks
- Introduction to create-react-app
- React Concept: Composition
- React: Presentational vs Container Components
- Code Splitting in React
- Server Side Rendering with React
- How to install React
- CSS in React
- Using SASS in React
- Handling Forms in React
- React StrictMode
- React Portals
- React Render Props
- Testing React components
- How to pass a parameter to event handlers in React
- How to handle errors in React
- How to return multiple elements in JSX
- Conditional rendering in React
- React, how to transfer props to child components
- How to get the value of an input element in React
- How to use the useState React hook
- How to use the useCallback React hook
- How to use the useEffect React hook
- How to use the useMemo React hook
- How to use the useRef React hook
- How to use the useContext React hook
- How to use the useReducer React hook
- How to connect your React app to a backend on the same origin
- The Reach Router Tutorial
- How to use the React Developer Tools
- How to learn React
- How to debug a React application
- How to render HTML in React
- How to fix the `dangerouslySetInnerHTML` did not match error in React
- How I fixed an issue with a React login form state and Browser autofill
- How to configure HTTPS in a React app on localhost
- How to fix the "cannot update a component while rendering a different component" error in React
- Can I use React hooks inside a conditional?
- Using useState with an object: how to update
- How to move around blocks of code with React and Tailwind
- React, focus an item in React when added to the DOM
- React, edit text on doubleclick
- React Router, how to get data from a dynamic route
- React Router, why useLocation and useHistory might return undefined