Signup to the waiting list!
Cascade is a fundamental concept of CSS. After all, it’s in the name itself, the first C of CSS - Cascading Style Sheets - it must be an important thing.
What does it mean?
Cascade is the process, or algorithm, that determines the properties applied to each element on the page.
Trying to converge from a list of CSS rules that are defined in various places.
It does so taking in consideration:
- order in the file
It also takes care of resolving conflicts.
Two or more competing CSS rules for the same property applied to the same element need to be elaborated according to the CSS spec, to determine which one needs to be applied.
Even if you just have one CSS file loaded by your page, there is other CSS that is going to be part of the process. We have the browser (user agent) CSS. Browsers come with a default set of rules, all different between browsers.
Then your CSS come into play.
Then the browser applies any user stylesheet, which might also be applied by browser extensions.
All those rules come into play while rendering the page.
Download my free CSS Handbook
More css tutorials:
- The Flexbox Guide
- CSS Grid Tutorial
- CSS Variables (Custom Properties)
- Introduction to PostCSS
- The CSS margin property
- How to center an element with CSS
- CSS System Fonts
- How to print your HTML with style
- An introductory guide to CSS Transitions
- A CSS Animations Tutorial
- Introduction to CSS
- The CSS Guide
- How to setup Tailwind with PurgeCSS and PostCSS
- The Tailwind Cheat Sheet
- How to continuously rotate an image using CSS
- Making a table responsive using CSS
- How to debug CSS by bisecting
- CSS Selectors
- CSS Cascade
- CSS Specificity
- CSS Attribute Selectors
- CSS Colors
- CSS Units
- CSS url()
- CSS Typography
- The CSS Box Model
- The CSS position property
- CSS Media Queries and Responsive Design
- CSS Feature Queries
- CSS Transforms
- How to style lists using CSS
- CSS Vendor Prefixes
- CSS Inheritance
- CSS Pseudo Classes
- CSS Pseudo Elements
- Styling HTML Tables with CSS
- The CSS Display property
- The CSS calc() function
- CSS Borders
- Importing a CSS file using @import
- CSS Error Handling
- CSS Filters
- CSS Box Sizing
- CSS Backgrounds
- CSS Comments
- CSS Fonts
- CSS Padding
- The CSS float property and clearing
- CSS Normalizing
- The CSS z-index property
- How to disable text selection using CSS
- How to put an item at the bottom of its container using CSS
- How to invert colors using CSS
- Responsive pre tags in CSS
- Responsive YouTube Video Embeds
- What are good CSS Breakpoint values for Responsive Design?
- How to align center in flexbox