Signup to the waiting list!
The modern world is completely centered around information.
Companies, big and small, generate a lot of value out of proper information management, and many times that’s their core business.
Most companies could not exist without a proper management of the information they need to operate, in other words their information system.
What is an information system?
An information system is the group of procedures and resources we use to gather, store, process and communicate the information needed in an organization.
What is a computer information system?
A computer information system is the subset of the information system that automates information management using computers.
Inside the computer information system, information is stored as data.
What’s the difference between information and data?
Data is a singular unit of knowledge. It has no intrinsic value on its own. We can’t extract meaning out of it, without knowing more about it.
Information is something that we can link to data, to be able to attach a meaning to it.
Let me make an example. The number 36 is data. Knowing that 36 is my age is information. Information that the data represents my age is essential knowledge that is key in an information system.
More database tutorials:
- The MongoDB basics tutorial
- How MongoDB is different from a SQL database
- Information systems, data and information
- Data models
- Introduction to the ER Data Model
- The Relational Model
- Relational Algebra
- Relational Databases
- What is a Database? And a DBMS?
- Introduction to SQL
- How to install PostgreSQL on macOS
- Do you always need a database for your app?
- How to install SQLite on macOS
- Introduction to PostgreSQL
- PostgreSQL User Permissions
- How to list all users in PostgreSQL
- How to switch database using PostgreSQL
- How to list all databases using PostgreSQL
- How to list tables in the current database using PostgreSQL
- How to install MySQL on macOS
- Creating a user on MySQL
- PostgreSQL vs MySQL, a comparison
- SQLite User Permissions
- MySQL User Permissions
- SQL, creating a table
- SQL, adding data to a table
- SQL, how to use SELECT
- SQL, Handling empty cells
- SQL, Unique and Primary keys
- SQL, how to update data
- SQL, how to update a table structure
- SQL, how to delete data and tables
- SQL Joins
- SQL Views
- How to insert multiple items at once in a MongoDB collection
- How to remove all items from a MongoDB collection