Information systems, data and information
The modern world is completely centered around information and data. What's the difference?
The modern world is completely centered around information.
Companies, big and small, generate a lot of value out of proper information management, and many times that’s their core business.
Most companies could not exist without a proper management of the information they need to operate, in other words their information system.
What is an information system?
An information system is the group of procedures and resources we use to gather, store, process and communicate the information needed in an organization.
What is a computer information system?
A computer information system is the subset of the information system that automates information management using computers.
Inside the computer information system, information is stored as data.
What’s the difference between information and data?
Data is a singular unit of knowledge. It has no intrinsic value on its own. We can’t extract meaning out of it, without knowing more about it.
Information is something that we can link to data, to be able to attach a meaning to it.
Let me make an example. The number 36 is data. Knowing that 36 is my age is information. Information that the data represents my age is essential knowledge that is key in an information system.
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X