How to install SQLite on macOS
In this tutorial I want to explain what you need to do to install SQLite.
I’m a Mac user and I do not own a Windows computer, so I can’t write the instructions for Windows. Google “how to install sqlite on windows” for specific instructions. Same goes for Linux.
On macOS, you don’t need to do anything to install sqlite. It’s preinstalled in all modern versions of macOS.
All you need to do is to open a terminal and run the
Press ctrl-C 2 times to exit the SQLite executable.
This is pretty cool!
My macOS with Mojave comes with SQLite 3.24, and the latest version (at the time of writing) is SQLite 3.30. You can upgrade SQLite using Homebrew, but for the sake of simplicity, I’m not going to cover this.
A great software we can use to interact with a SQLite database is TablePlus. It comes with a free trial that’s perfect for our usage, because it’s not time-based but rather it limits the amount of concurrent connections you can make to the database.
Download it from https://tableplus.com. I know there are macOS, Windows and Linux versions.
You create a new connection, choosing SQLite:
You select a name, and type a database path. I choose
test.db, in the
SQLite is pretty cool because the database is contained in a file, which you can put pretty much everywhere you want. This is radically different from PostgreSQL, and MySQL and other big DBMS.
Connect, the connection was successfully created:
and I can see the file created in that folder, with zero KB of size:
I’m going to make more tutorials on how to use this SQLite database, soon.
THE VALLEY OF CODE
THE WEB DEVELOPER's MANUAL
You might be interested in those things I do:
- Learn to code in THE VALLEY OF CODE, your your web development manual
- Find a ton of Web Development projects to learn modern tech stacks in practice in THE VALLEY OF CODE PRO
- I wrote 16 books for beginner software developers, DOWNLOAD THEM NOW
- Every year I organize a hands-on cohort course coding BOOTCAMP to teach you how to build a complex, modern Web Application in practice (next edition February-March-April-May 2024)
- Learn how to start a solopreneur business on the Internet with SOLO LAB (next edition in 2024)
- Find me on X