Learning Node.js? Download my free Node Handbook 🔥
Believe it or not, Node.js is just 9 years old.
9 years is such a little amount of time for a technology, but Node.js seems to have been around forever.
I’ve had the pleasure to work with Node since the early days when it was just 2 years old, and despite the little information available, you could already feel it was a huge thing.
In this post, I want to draw the big picture of Node in its history, to put things in perspective.
A little bit of history
- Node.js is born
- The first form of npm is created
- npm hits 1.0
- Big companies start adopting Node: LinkedIn, Uber Hapi is born
- Adoption continues very rapidly
- First big blogging platform using Node: Ghost
- Koa is born
- The Big Fork: io.js is a major fork of Node.js, with the goal of introducing ES6 support and moving faster
- The Node.js Foundation is born
- IO.js is merged back into Node.js
- npm introduces private modules
- Node 4 (no 1, 2, 3 versions were previously released)
- npm focuses more on security
- Node 8
- V8 introduces Node in its testing suite, officially making Node a target for the JS engine, in addition to Chrome
- 3 billion npm downloads every week
- Node 10
- ES modules .mjs experimental support
Here's my latest YouTube video. I talk about why I think that dogs are a great help for developers working remotely: